August 17, 2006

New songs!

Whenever there's fresh music in my mind, I'm always very excited! Right now my mind's filled with lots of Lincoln Brewster - All To You album (thanks Minwei!!) and Paul Baloche - Greater Song album (thanks Jogs!!), and I'm so lifted by those songs. Lovely songs.

I also think there's just something about me with these chords:

Ib IV I9
Ib IV I9

IV V Ib IV
II7 V I

They get me crazy man!!! If you know greek like me, then you'd know it's chords of 'Lord I'm Amazed'. I'm AMAZED that i can love this particular chord progression so much. Alongside with several others.

I think I just really love 1st inversion chords.




Something I'd like to share here is how I was utterly surprised to learn that my sec 3 O Music class couldn't tell chords and cadences! I was just about to teach them the 4 (to me very) simple cadences - perfect, imperfect, plagal, interrupted - only to find that they struggled with the very thought of locating the tonic!

The HARDEST thing was to be able to TEACH them. The class was quite a flop because I didn't get the learning point across at all. I tried to break it down but they still looked blankly. "Cher, are you speaking greek?"

And that also made me wonder HOWWWWWW on earth I got it - the very concept of chords, tonic, solfege, being able to hear bass line.... I think it has to be YAMAHA training. Guys, if you're gonna send your kids to music class, send them to YAMAHA. All my yamaha graduated friends can improvise and apply music much more flexibly than others. I think back to how I slogged through 2 different music classes every weekend since I was 8-14 years old... it must have been those years when my music foundation was built. Please don't envy me - at that time I faked diarrhoea every other week to avoid those lessons. They were painful to me. Plus I was ostracized because I was the tallest girl in class, and didn't dress as nicely as the rest. :)

If you can think of a good way to teach cadences, PRAY TELL ME!!!!




Something that God showed me that's blog-worthy:

God says HE DOESN'T WANT THESE:

7
"O my people, listen as I speak.
Here are my charges against you, O Israel:
I am God, your God!
8
I have no complaint about your sacrifices
or the burnt offerings you constantly bring to my altar.

9
But I want no more bulls from your barns;
I want no more goats from your pens.

10
For all the animals of the forest are mine,
and I own the cattle on a thousand hills.

11
Every bird of the mountains
and all the animals of the field belong to me.

12
If I were hungry, I would not mention it to you,
for all the world is mine and everything in it.

13
I don't need the bulls you sacrifice;
I don't need the blood of goats.




Then WHAT DOES HE WANT?



14
What I want instead is your true thanks to God;
I want you to fulfill your vows to the Most High.

15
Trust me in your times of trouble,
and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory."


From this, I learnt: God doesn't want our sacrifice, our service, God wants a RELATIONSHIP WITH US!

God wants us to THANK Him

God wants us to TRUST Him

He doesn't even need our service / intercessions / offering / tithes. HE'S GOT IT ALL!

Learning this has freed me from guilt of not doing enough of the above religious acts.

Jesus, thank You for freeing me. May You minister to whomever's reading this too. Amen :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

babe nice entry :) tt 2nd half is really heartening, tho i'm not particularly religious hee... anyways, i miss you!! :D me and carolyn didnt get to meet up tog with you, we'll catchup sometime k!